Alright folks, you've been bugging me for this, time to conjure up the frightening next case of @theconjuringmovie's Ed and Lorraine Warren!! #TheConjuring2 teaser trailer drops tomorrow! Meanwhile, here's an appetizer. A teaser for the teaser, if you will 🙂
Posted by James Wan on Wednesday, January 6, 2016
The Conjuring 2 Investigates a 2016 Release Date
Now that James Wan is free to return to direct ‘The Conjuring 2,’ and after a little release date shuffling, New Line has decided to move the upcoming sequel onto some prime movie real estate: ‘The Conjuring 2’ will hit theaters in the summer of 2016, as New Line looks to duplicate the success of the first film, which hit theaters in the summer of 2013.
Wan had previously stated that he wanted to distance himself from horror films after directing ‘The Conjuring,’ but after completing work on ‘Furious 7,’ he’s getting back into the genre with ‘The Conjuring 2.’ New Line had scheduled a pre-Halloween release date of October 23, 2015 for the sequel, but replaced it with an untitled horror film and delayed the release of the follow-up, presumably to work with Wan’s schedule.
Variety now reports that the studio has scheduled ‘The Conjuring 2’ for a June 10, 2016 release, looking to replicate the first film’s success — which shouldn’t be too hard now that they’ve got Wan back in the director’s chair.
The first film was based on real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga, who are called upon when a family is being tormented by evil spirits in their new home. ‘The Conjuring’ led to the spinoff ‘Annabelle,’ which was also based on a real-life case investigated by the Warrens.
Wilson and Farmiga are expected to return for the sequel, but it’s unclear which of the Warrens’ cases the new film will explore. The pair are responsible for investigating famous cases like the Amityville house and the case that served as the basis for the horror film ‘The Haunting in Connecticut.’
Great news! The Conjuring Sequel is coming next year. Set for October 23rd, 2015
Patrick WilsonReturning for ‘The Conjuring’ Sequel
New Line has set its “Conjuring” sequel for a pre-Halloween release on Oct. 23, 2015, with Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga returning to star.
The yet-to-be titled sequel, which does not have a director yet, is the first title to land on the date.
New Line scored a massive surprise hit last summer with James Wan’s supernatural thriller “The Conjuring,” which amassed about $320 million in worldwide box office on a $20 million budget.
New Line had already begun development of a sequel before the movie opened last July. Chief exec Toby Emmerich told Variety in December that “Conjuring 2” would tap a similar vein as the first film, which largely avoided conventional horror film ploy while exploring demonic possession.
“‘The Conjuring’ is incredibly effective and scary without the use of blood, gore and death,” he said at time. “It’s a horror film that emphasizes atmosphere and suspense in the tradition of classics like ‘Psycho’ or ‘The Others.’”
Set in Rhode Island in 1971, the story is based on the work of real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren — portrayed by Wilson and Farmiga. Ron Livingston and Lili Taylor played the father and mother of the five Perron girls who were terrorized by the haunted house.
The team of Carey Hayes and Chad Hayes, who penned “The Conjuring,” came on board as writers for the sequel last summer. The brothers interviewed Lorraine Warren extensively as part of developing the script.
Warner Bros. had originally dated “The Conjuring” for Jan. 25 of last year but then decided to move it back to the summer as a result of the test screening results. Producers are Rob Cowan, Peter Safran and Tony DeRosa-Grund.
Emmerich has said Wan is expected to be involved in some capacity with the sequel.
New Line has already started filming “Annabelle,” a spin-off based on a possessed doll introduced in “The Conjuring.”